Sorbets are one of the fastest frozen desserts to put together. A typical sorbet contains fruit puree, sugar, and water, and can be frozen in any commercial ice cream maker. Simple recipes like these, which only have three to five ingredients, are best when you use the freshest fruit at the peak of its season.
The sweet and tropical mango makes a perfect base for sorbets. It is a soft and creamy fruit, which gives the finished sorbet a great texture. Adding a little alcohol to sorbet (such as Grand Marnier in this recipe) keeps the final product from freezing quite as hard, so it will store well.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 large ripe mangoes, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp. Grand Marnier
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Mango Sorbet Recipe PREPARATION
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Puree the mango in a food processor or blender. You can make it completely smooth or leave a few small, pea-sized chunks of mango that will add texture to the finished product.
- Combine the mango puree with sugar syrup, orange juice, and salt.
- Refrigerate the mixture until completely cold.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s directions. If your ice cream maker has a bowl that needs to be frozen first, make sure that it has been completely frozen.
Tips For Making Mango Sorbet:
- Choose ripe mangos by using all your senses. Ripe mangos will give slightly when you press on them but aren’t mushy (think about how a ripe avocado feels). Look for mangos that don’t have many blemishes. The best mangos are often very fragrant as well.
- Taste your mixture before freezing it. If you want a little more acid, add a squeeze of lemon juice. If it is a little tart, add more sugar. Fruits can vary in sweetness levels, so make sure it is to your liking before you freeze the sorbet.
- Feel free to experiment. Use half mangos and half of another fruit you love. Strawberries or raspberries are both great choices. I love raspberries because their tartness goes well with how sweet the mangos can be. Try switching the alcohol to something with a different flavor. This is your sorbet, so use ingredients you enjoy the best.